Travelers used their claim data to collect and develop a list of the most common causes of fire related losses along with some ways you can help prevent these fires in your home.

Faulty Wiring and Outlets are One of the Top Causes of House Fires.

-Make sure to check all electrical cords throughout your home for signs of fraying, and replace all the frayed wires.

-Don’t cover or pinch electrical cords; one example is putting cords under rugs.

-Don’t overload your circuits.

-Know the difference between surge protectors and power strips- both let you plug in multiple electronic devices, but only the surge protector will protect from a power spike. To protect valuable electronics such as computers and televisions that is when you should use a surge protector.

Carelessness in the Kitchen May Also Lead to a House Fire.

-Never leave pots and pans on the stove unattended.

-Keep a kitchen fire extinguisher available and know how to use it.

-Built up food splatter or grease can ignite when the stove or oven is turned on. So make sure to keep both stove and oven clean.

Clothes Dryers are Another Common Source of House Fires.

-If you are installing your own dryer vent, follow the directions in the manufacturer’s installation instructions. If you are unsure on how to properly install the vent, consider hiring a professional.

-Clean out the dryer vent regularly.

-Clean out lint filter after each load.

-Lint at times will also collect under and behind your dryer, so make sure to also clean these areas.

Alternative Heating Sources May Also Create a Fire Hazard.

-Avoid using any older space heater, as some may not have adequate safety features compared to newer units.

-Don’t place space heaters near furniture, curtains or other objects that could easily catch on fire.

Dirty Chimneys Also Pose a Fire Hazard.

-Make sure to have your chimney inspected by a Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) annually. Have the professionals clean and repair the chimney as needed, especially before the cold months.

-Use seasoned wood only. NEVER burn green or damp wood.

-Never burn cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash, or trees in your fireplace- these can all spark chimney fires.